Vaginal Rejuvenation | Paramus, NJ
One of our primary interests in performing cosmetic and reconstructive procedures is to restore a person’s sense of self. A sense of self is more than a healthy level of confidence or self-esteem; we believe that a sense of self is at least partially related to feeling at home in your own body. In addition to enhancing the physical appearance of the face and body, Dr. Ferraro also offers vaginal rejuvenation procedures that can improve much more than aesthetics. Contact our Paramus, NJ office today to learn more.
What is Vaginal Rejuvenation?
Vaginal rejuvenation is a blanket term that is frequently used to describe one of several procedures. Each technique that may be involved in a comprehensive treatment plan culminates in the refinement of shape and sensation within and just outside of the vaginal opening. Our experienced surgical team performs vaginoplasty, labiaplasty, and clitoral hood reduction.
Vaginoplasty could be described as vaginal tightening. This procedure is intended for the correction of moderate to severe vaginal laxity, which is often caused by childbirth and changing hormones. Vaginal laxity causes muscles and superficial tissue to become weak. Sometimes this weakness leads to stress urinary incontinence and, in many cases, a loss of sexual satisfaction. Vaginoplasty reunites muscles that have been separated and removes excess mucosal tissue so the vaginal canal is restored to a more youthful state.
Labiaplasty is the procedure that refines the size and proportions of the external genitalia. Labiaplasty procedures outnumber other vaginal rejuvenation techniques, and helps women feel more comfortable physically as well as emotionally. Labial reduction can be performed on the labia minor or the labia majora as needed to improve symmetry and overall size.
Clitoral Hood Reduction
Often, when the labia are oversized, tissue accumulates around the clitoris. If the labia are reduced and the tissue around the clitoris is not addressed, the result could be a slight bulge at this point of the vagina. For that reason, clitoral hood reduction, which carefully excises skin around the clitoris, but not the clitoris itself, may coincide with labiaplasty.
What Our Patients Are Saying:
"An absolutely wonderful experience. Dr. Ferraro and his staff are professional, compassionate and very accommodating. Best choice I have ever made. Thank you for making me feel so comfortable." -Carolyn
What is the Recovery Like After Vaginal Rejuvenation?
The recovery process after vaginal rejuvenation is unique based on which procedure or combination of procedures is performed. Generally:
- Vaginoplasty patients can expect a week or two of downtime. For a few days after surgery, a deep ache may be sensed but is manageable with prescription or over-the-counter medication.
- Labiaplasty patients are usually back to a normal routine within a week. External tenderness and swelling can be managed with medication and cold therapy (icing for twenty-minute periods). Swelling diminishes dramatically over about 6 weeks, and can take months to fully resolve.
Who is a Good Candidate for this Procedure?
Vaginal rejuvenation is a popular form of cosmetic surgery among women of all ages who have been affected by genetics, aging, or childbirth. There are a number of beneficial results that stem from the restoration of vaginal tightness and refinement of external genitalia, which widens the pool of appropriate candidates.
You may appreciate vaginal rejuvenation if you:
- Have lost a degree of sexual gratification due to vaginal laxity.
- Experience discomfort during or after sexual intercourse due to stretching or tearing of soft genital tissue.
- Feel apprehensive about sexual contact with your partner due to the appearance of your labia.
- Experience discomfort from certain types of clothing or activities, such as riding a bike.
- Experience the accidental leakage of urine when you run, cough, or otherwise exert pressure on your pelvic floor.
Every woman has her own personal reasons for desiring vaginal rejuvenation. Our job is not to qualify; it is to perform surgery that achieves the desired outcome.
Is this procedure painful?
Vaginal rejuvenation procedures may be performed in an outpatient surgical facility using local anesthetic. Modern methods of pain management facilitate a comfortable procedure. However, some women do choose to undergo general anesthesia for their vaginal rejuvenation procedure.
How soon can I resume sex after vaginal rejuvenation?
- 8 weeks after vaginoplasty.
- 4 to 6 weeks labiaplasty, with or without clitoral hood reduction..
We can help you feel at home in your body. Call our Paramus, NJ office at (201) 664-8000 to learn more about vaginal rejuvenation.