Is Male Breast Reduction Right for You?
For women, a breast reduction is a common procedure that can help with back pain, shoulder pain and overall self-esteem. But you may be surprised to learn that a breast reduction is also an effective procedure for men who suffer from enlarged male breasts. It is estimate that nearly 40 to 60 percent of men develop enlarged breasts with no known cause. Men with this condition typically feel self-conscious and embarrassed. What’s more, their physical condition can interfere with the ability to participate in normal daily activities.
There are several reasons male breasts become enlarged. Testosterone levels may have dismissed with age, and estrogen levels may have increased. Certain medications can also be the cause, including some cancer drugs and antibiotics. Another cause is an overactive thyroid, liver or kidney problems, or a vitamin or mineral deficiency.
Breast reduction surgery involves making small, inconspicuous incisions in either the armpit or around the areola. The excess fat and tissue is then removed, sometimes by using liposuction, followed by trimming the extra skin. There is some swelling and bruising post-surgery, which will subside with time. As you heal, you will be required to abstain from overexertion in the chest and wear a compression garment to reshape your chest.
If you’re someone who feels uncomfortable about your enlarged male breasts, breast reduction surgery may be right for you if you:
- Are in good overall physical health
- Are not considerably overweight and are within 30 to 40 pounds of your ideal body weight
- Have good skin quality, as breast reduction surgery works best when the skin is able to contract back after excess tissue is removed
- You are physically healthy and of relatively normal weight
- Are free of any serious illnesses or infections
- Are unable to have your male breasts reduced with alternative medical measures
- Do not smoke
- Have realistic expectations about the outcome of the procedure
Are you interested in learning more about the benefits of male breast reduction?
For more information about male breast reduction, or any of our Aesthetic & Reconstructive Plastic Surgery Services, please contact us or by calling 408-559-7177 today to schedule an appointment.