One of the most important things you should remember when undergoing breast augmentation is PREPARATION. Getting things in order well in advance of the big day will save you unnecessary stress as you recover. To make sure you’re doing everything you can ahead of time for a smooth and comfortable recovery, consider these helpful tips:
- Establish a support system. It’s crucial for you to have a strong support group around you for the first couple of days after surgery. This includes arranging for someone to take you to and from the surgical office the day of your procedure. And it’s important to have people you can rely on to care for you in the 24 to 48 hours following surgery.
- Fill your prescriptions ahead of time. The last thing you’ll want to worry about is not having your post-op medications ready, so make it a priority to secure them in advance and be sure to bring them to your appointment with you.
- Avoid blood thinners. Certain medications should be avoided for at least two weeks before surgery and two days after. Abstain from taking Advil, Aleve, ibuprofen, naproxen and Motrin, which are common blood thinners.
- Go scent- and jewelry-free. Your doctor may provide you with a special soap called Hibiclens to shower with prior to your surgery. Showering is important, but abstain from deodorant or moisturizer the day of your procedure. And don’t wear jewelry, makeup or contact lenses to your appointment. For the latter, bring your glasses instead.
- No food or drink after midnight. The anesthesia used during your surgery can make you nauseous. Go in with an empty stomach to avoid complications.
- Have realistic expectations. The healing process takes several weeks. Be prepared to be out of commission and ready to rest. Remember: patience is a virtue. What’s more, the results you’ll see when you’re completely healed are totally worth it.
Are you interested in learning more about the benefits of breast augmentation?
For more information about any of our Aesthetic & Reconstructive Plastic Surgery Services, please contact or call today to schedule an appointment.