When researching plastic surgery procedures, you may become interested in certain treatments that are used to target unwanted fat on the face and body. At Plastic Surgery Specialists of New Jersey, Dr. Frank Ferraro and his team in Paramus, NJ work with patients who are considering treatment like liposuction. Liposuction is a popular elective procedure that is not used to help with weight loss. Instead, it is a body contouring procedure that manually removes unwanted fat from specific areas of the body. While this remains a popular treatment, it does require patients to take some time off of work and school while recovering. This ensures a reduced risk of complications, including infection. Patients who are thinking about undergoing liposuction will want to talk to their doctor about the aftercare instructions to follow to safely recover from this or any other surgical procedure.
What is liposuction?
Liposuction is the manual removal of unwanted fat cells on the face and body. It is often performed in areas where stubborn fat remains even after diet and exercise, including the stomach, thighs, buttocks, and upper arms.
What are some recommendations for recovering safely following the liposuction procedure?
- Closely follow the preoperative instructions given to you from your doctor the day of the surgery
- Avoid extensive exercise and lifting until cleared by the doctor to do so
- Avoid alcohol and smoking before and after the liposuction surgery
- Keep the skin as clean as possible during the recovery period, eliminating lotions, cosmetics, and other products
- Provide your doctor with a full medical history before the procedure to reduce the risk of complications
- Arrange for a friend or family member to accompany you to the hospital for your procedure and transport you home afterwards
- Avoid aspirin products that can lead to increased bleeding, such as Advil, Aleve, and Motrin
- Attend your follow-up appointment scheduled a week or two after your surgery
- Call your doctor if you have any questions or concerns during the healing process
How do I learn more about liposuction and liposuction recovery?
Paramus, NJ area patients who are ready to speak to a professional about liposuction can call Dr. Frank Ferraro and his team by calling (201) 664-8000. The practice is open to new and returning patients, and is conveniently located at 2 Sears Drive, Suite #103.